[Talk-us] New I.D Feature

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Nov 9 01:24:02 UTC 2014

As long as we have clever mappings like this (two-letter codes to
whatever, especially if/as/when they are ISO standards), I am OK with
data remaining as two-letter codes.  (I am not thrilled, but if there
is a way to explain how the dots are connected and how to connect
other dots given clever mappings, great).  I am glad we are having
this discussion.  I'm not sure whether pedantic, but it is an
interesting and distinct boundary.

(One I made off list to Richard Weait and Elliott Plack).

Still, for things that need their state address entered in Arizona,
I'll do that, instead of AZ.  Just me?  No.

Seriously, understanding a more total semantic (instead of a single
or vague concept) as represented by a syntax unit, like a two letter
abbreviation, is something we should wave various colored flags
about.  Careful that as many as possible both discuss and understand
larger issues.  (Talk-us is a larger stage).

It seems to me that OSM remains resilient, talking to itself
(ourselves) well.  So far, so good.  (Nothing like dotting an i or
two and crossing some ts here and there).

SteveA
California