[Talk-us] State highway refs (was Re: New I.D Feature)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sun Nov 9 09:10:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-11-09 at 03:56 -0500, James Mast wrote:
> Just wanted to throw this out there in case you guys have forgoten,
> but we also use the two letter abbreviation in almost all relations
> for highways in the USA (however, there are a few that do spell out
> the state).

There are still a few places that use a convention like SH 123, SR 123,
or even (horrors) just 123 by itself to denote a state highway.
Currently, I refrain from making changes of this sort if it appears most
of a state uses this convention.

So, a couple of questions:

1. What, exactly, is fair game to change to a state abbreviation
2. Which states spell out the name in the ref?

I know Kansas uses K-123, and Michigan uses M-123. Are there any others
to be careful of?

Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>

More information about the Talk-us mailing list