[Talk-us] zip->city mappings

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Nov 10 00:05:28 UTC 2014

On 11/9/14 3:10 PM, Nathan Mills wrote:
> Just keep in mind that some ZIPs cover multiple cities. The one I'm standing in now is found in parts of at least 3 different cities that I know of. Others cover both (parts of) cities and unincorporated areas outside of the city whose name they are associated with.
this snippet, from my longer reply over in the new I.D. Feature thread,
discusses this:

as for that many to one mapping that isn't, basically,
for each zip code there is a primary city and potentially
a number of secondary cities. the primary city is the
city name of the post office that serves the routes; the
secondary cities are generally traditional place names
within the delivery area; for example, for years i lived
in the Lansingburgh neighborhood of Troy NY, and
the post office would deliver mail for either city name.
any effort to crowd source this data would need to take
care of that detail.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux