[Talk-us] admin level for US states

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Nov 24 14:44:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why US States are tagged as admin_level=4, wouldn't it be more
> consistent with the rest of the map to have them tagged as level 3?

Based on which uses of admin_level=3?   A quick scan of the wiki shows
admin_level=4 as states or provinces for several countries.

I guess the biggest reason they are admin_level=4 now is, "that seemed
like the way to go in 2009"[1], but that wouldn't prevent a change for
a compelling reason.

[1] wiki history of the admin_level page goes back to 2009, the tag
use in USA could pre-date that.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative