[Talk-us] admin level for US states

Jack Burke burkejf3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:48:22 UTC 2014

I would point out that the legal status of U.S. States is slightly different than that of provinces (and likely of states in other countries).  For one thing, U.S. States exist in their own right and do not drive their existence from a higher government (even though most of them were created by a higher government). German States and perhaps Swiss cantons might have the same status.

-jack

On November 24, 2014 9:44:22 AM EST, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
><dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder why US States are tagged as admin_level=4, wouldn't it be
>more
>> consistent with the rest of the map to have them tagged as level 3?
>

>Based on which uses of admin_level=3?   A quick scan of the wiki shows
>admin_level=4 as states or provinces for several countries.
>
>I guess the biggest reason they are admin_level=4 now is, "that seemed
>like the way to go in 2009"[1], but that wouldn't prevent a change for
>a compelling reason.
>
>[1] wiki history of the admin_level page goes back to 2009, the tag
>use in USA could pre-date that.
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative

Typos courtesy of fancy auto-spell technology.