[Talk-us] admin level for US states

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Nov 24 17:04:41 UTC 2014

> I wonder why US States are tagged as admin_level=4, wouldn't it be
> more consistent with the rest of the map to have them tagged as level 3?
admin_level=4 is consistent with Canada and Australia at the very least.
I believe it's also consistent with Mexico, South Africa as well as
other countries.

Given that states are often grouped together for various purposes into
regions, I'm skeptical about admin_level=3 anyways. The groupings vary
depending on the purpose and we don't map them, but it does demonstrate
that there's the concept of a grouping above states.