[Talk-us] admin level for US states

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:05:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Jack Burke <burkejf3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would point out that the legal status of U.S. States is slightly
> different than that of provinces (and likely of states in other countries).
> For one thing, U.S. States exist in their own right and do not drive their
> existence from a higher government (even though most of them were created
> by a higher government). German States and perhaps Swiss cantons might have
> the same status.
>
> -jack

 ...and German states and Swiss cantons are admin_level=4 according to the
previously-linked page. I'd also note that page says admin_level was
"introduced in order that different borders can be rendered consistently
among countries". That is, it's a worldwide rendering aid, not trying to
make profound statements about legal minutiae.