[Talk-us] Tagging a seasonally closed roads with uncertain spring opening

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Nov 30 02:28:54 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Kevin Broderick <ktb at kevinbroderick.com>
wrote:

> Having recently moved to Red Lodge, Montana, I'm trying to update some of
> the map data around here, as a lot of it is untouched TIGER data that seems
> to be fairly imaginative.
>

> Just south of town, US-212 is closed for the winter. The closing date is
> mid-October (varies a little year-to-year, but it is calendar-based) and
> the opening date is based on when the road is clear of snow, ice, and other
> debris (i.e. significant variation year-to-year is possible).

Beartooth Pass!  Woo!  Highest place I've ever driven.  Also, I really like
the name and the place.

> When the road is closed, it is truly closed (per signs and gate); it's not
> just a "unmaintained, travel at your own risk" situation.
>

> Anyone have suggestions for tagging this segment of road? date_on and
> date_off were the best options I came up with in a search, but the
> variation in opening date seems to make that a bad choice.

Seems like this might be something that needs to be regularly adjusted, by
setting the affected section to access=no.  If there's multiple segments,
gotta wonder if this would be an acceptable misuse of a relation to make it
easier to maintain (just to be able to pull down all the related objects
subject to winter closure on that road at once).