[Talk-us] State highway refs (was Re: New I.D Feature)

Dave Mansfield mansfieldd at chartermi.net
Sun Nov 30 04:50:52 UTC 2014

Please forgive me I’m not trying to stir things up. I’m new to OSM and trying to learn and I don’t have any idea what the NE2 you refer to is.

I understand that a lot of things are tagged different then what I would think do to standards. I understand that and I’m doing everything I can to learn the correct way to tag. I’m always looking at the Wiki and also how others are tagging. I’ve also sent emails asking for help on tagging. I understand that we normally don’t abbreviate but that states are the exception and we use the 2 letter abbreviation. So I’m only trying to learn but in this case a ref tag seems like a name tag for the name of the route to me and I’m having a hard time understanding why we would tag a name something other then what it is.

Is there someplace I can go to read why it’s this way?

Thanks

Dave