[Talk-us] State highway refs (was Re: New I.D Feature)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Nov 30 06:21:08 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-29 21:27, Dave Mansfield wrote:
> It makes sense the way you explain it. I was looking at it as a name of
> the route and thinking it should me the same as signs etc. But not the
> fact that routing engines and renderers will know it’s a state highway
> based on the state abbreviation.

Do any routing engines currently care about prefixes on way refs?

 From what I've seen so far, most of the map styles that use the ref tag
to distinguish route networks will recognize either the state
abbreviation, "SR", or "SH". Some renderers use the prefix to choose a
state-specific shield, assuming any unrecognized prefix is for a county
route (white rectangle at higher zoom levels). MapQuest only recognizes
state/provincial abbreviations. Not that we should place too much stock
in individual renderer decisions. :-)

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us