[Talk-us] changeset 25081346 spanning contiguous United States

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Mon Oct 6 16:53:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Eric H. Christensen <
eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 09:33:08AM -0700, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> > After checking a few of the objects, it looks like this change removed
> > "shop=copyshop" and added "amenity=post_office".  I don't necessarily
> > disagree with this change.  In my mind I had been reserving post_office
> for
> > entities controlled by the government-run United States Postal Service,
> but
> > after reading the wiki I see that private companies can be also
> designated
> > as post_office, and the UPS Store certainly fulfills many of the same
> > functions as government-run post offices.
>
> Isn't there a way to specify the provider of the service (outside the
> name?)?  I've run into this while marking post_box for UPS and FedEx drop
> points that I run across.

For "amenity=post_box", I add an operator tag.  The official blue mailboxes
get "United States Postal Service" and I also tag other common providers
"United Parcel Service" and "FedEx".  These same values for the operator
tag could be added to post offices and UPS and FedEx retail store locations.