[Talk-us] Statistics of board candidate edits

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Tue Oct 7 17:51:42 UTC 2014

Everyone,

         It seems to me that the candidates in question have
excellent qualifications for the
OSM board.
         All have experience in GIS, in the private or public sector,
and some have management
experience, something OSM really needs. Also, all have editing
experience with OSM, whether
in the United States or outside.
         I think quibbling about the volume of edits misses the
point. OSM needs strong organizational
leadership. No matter who one votes for, that should be the central issue.

Charlotte

At 09:21 PM 10/5/2014, you wrote:

>I will make an assumption (and forgive me if I'm wrong) that both
>candidates with 0 edits
>are female.  I am basing this only on names and a rudimentary
>internet search. I think
>before both candidates answer that question - you need to define why
>they have a "complete
>lack of OpenStreetMap experience," They have made edits. Were last
>year's edits not good?
>Were the other edits from other candidates better? How many edits
>make an experienced
>mapper? Non US edits are a bad thing when running for a OSM US
>Position? If they had
>only made 59 edits this year.........
>
>Randy
>On 10/05/2014 11:21 PM, Paul Norman wrote: >
>On 10/5/2014 6:26 PM, Alan McConchie wrote:
>
> >> All of the candidates have made more than zero edits
> > While true that all candidates have edited OSM at some point in the
> > past, two of them have zero edits in the last year, and one of those
> > has no US edits ever.[1]
>
> > > While a candidate may have other skills, I'd want to hear from them in
> > their manifesto why those skills make up for their complete lack of
> > OpenStreetMap experience, and why they would be more able to apply
> > those skills as a board member, rather than volunteering them without
> > being a board member.
> > > [1]: >
> https://gist.github.com/pnorman/28351121d9bf12b3a219#file-01_results-txt > >

></x-flowed>