[Talk-us] Statistics of board candidate edits

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Oct 7 21:26:59 UTC 2014

A friendly thought from across the pond; just something to provoke thoughts,
feel free to disregard.

OSM in the US is without doubt the #1 country at organising conferences. I
was privileged enough to go to Portland and SF and they were both superb
events. (This year's SOTM-EU in Karlsruhe was, of course, the other one
making up the top 3, and I couldn't choose between them.)

The US is probably also the #1 country at encouraging corporate use of OSM -
I don't need to bring up the examples, you know them better than me. And
there are lots of other accolades in your national palmar├Ęs.

The one area where I could unequivocally say the US isn't yet #1 is in the
quality of the map. #1 is clearly Germany (curse those crazy Teutons); but
Britain, France, and, quite seriously, Russia are not far behind.

Your new board's responsibility is to make OSM grow, in every way, within
the US. That means continuing to be #1 at conferences and #1 at corporate
use, but it also means improving on the #5 ranking for map quality. You do
of course have Martijn, who has forgotten more than most of us ever knew
about OSM data in the States; Alex's great work in urban areas with Mapbox;
and no doubt many more I'm not aware of. Paul's analysis is just one data
point but I hope, for anyone who thinks understanding US data quality is an
issue, it could at least be a relevant one.

Elect a great board - I'm sure you will.

cheers
Richard