[Talk-us] Coastal Maine needs love

Eric Kidd emk.lists at randomhacks.net
Wed Oct 15 14:56:36 UTC 2014

Recently, I wanted to fix a few local islands and public parks in coastal
Maine, where I have local knowledge. But much to my dismay, the local area
was pretty thoroughly broken:

   - The county lines along the coast are based on a really old (and
   incorrect) data set.
   - There's some confusion between towns (admin_level=8) and sub-town
   boundaries (admin_level=?).
   - Most towns are marked with nothing more than GNIS points.

As a result, the local maps are incorrect, ugly (thanks to the bad county
lines everywhere) and incompatible with Nominatim.

I've prepared a more detailed explanation of what's wrong, with pictures,
examples, and a couple of possible ways to improve things:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ekidd/Coastal_Maine_problems

Personally, I'd be interested in tackling 4 small towns and maybe the
Lincoln county boundary. But it looks like a large portion of the Maine
coast suffers from similar problems. If anybody feels qualified to address
the larger problems, I'd be grateful—and happy to help out.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

-Eric