[Talk-us] Bicycle Routes

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 15:42:32 UTC 2014

It is common practice to only tag the ones with actual signs on the road.
For all the other ones you mentioned you should instead add the physical
characteristics that make them popular with cyclists (surface, lane count,
width, shoulder, smoothness, incline, etc.).

 Harald.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Mike Henson <mikehenson at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> How can I tag unofficial bicycle routes in my community?
> For example, the City of Stillwater has documented with actual signs on
> the road these routes (
> http://stillwater.org/document_center/Bike_Routes.pdf)
> I have tagged these as "lcn=yes" and named them all Stillwater Bicycle
> Routes in a relation.
>
> There is a bicycle club that has created other routes that do not have
> actual signage on the roads. see
> http://www.reddirtpedalers.org/local-routes
> For Club routes, I could tag them as reddirtpedalers routes (i.e.
> Reddirtpedalers Couch Park Loop)
> http://www.reddirtpedalers.org/local-routes/13-couch-park-loop
>
> For the Club routes:
> Should I use "lcn=proposed"? (this is not valid, because they are not
> being proposed and most of them are outside city limits. the county does
> not have any routes)
> Should I use "lcn=unofficial"?
> Should I use "lcn=club"?
> Should the name include "unofficial" OR "bicycle = undesignated"?
>
> Also, using Stava data, I can see other used roads that are not bicycle
> routes, but they are widely used. see
> http://labs.strava.com/routing-errors/#250/13/-97.06824/36.12651
> Lakeview Road north west of Stillwater going out to Lake McMurtry is a
> nice blacktop road without a lot of traffic, If I was riding a bicycle, I
> would use this road.
> Should I tag these "commonly used bicycle routes"?
>
> I assume official = signage on the road.
>
> Mike Henson

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565