[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat Sep 6 21:41:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Il giorno 06/set/2014, alle ore 07:24, Bryce Nesbitt <
> bryce2 at obviously.com> ha scritto:
> >
> > BUT ANY OF THESE can be primary, secondary, tertiary or residential.
>
> No, the ones that are too narrow (motorcycle) can only be path in osm
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I'll take that bait.

Forget OSM for a moment.  Imagine a spiderweb of hiking trails on a
conventional map.
Chances are, some of the trunk trails will be more primary, and drawn using
a heavier line.
It's useful to map viewers, and thus is done.

The *concept* of hierarchy still exists for hiking trails, motorcycle
routes, paths, stairs, walkways.
Now we need to figure out how to consistently tag that concept in OSM, so
rendering engines
can start using it.