[Talk-us] Prima Facie Speed Limits

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Sep 8 22:58:03 UTC 2014

On 9/8/14 5:55 PM, Greg Morgan wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com
> <mailto:tod at fitchdesign.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thus far I've only applied the maxspeed tag to roads with a posted
>     speed limit. But here in California most residential roads are not
>     posted, instead there is a state wide prima facie limit:
>     http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22352.htm
>

> I wonder if 15 mph in a school zone and 25 mph in a residential area
> are some sort of federal standard?  The source tag might be useful but
> not much different than other states.

i doubt it. 30 mph residential is as common as 25 mph, and in my experience
it's a statute of the local municipality that imposes the limit.

the default speed limit in NYS for unposted roads is 55mph, irrespective
of surface type. other states vary; there's a page in the OSM wiki about it.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search