[Talk-us] Prima Facie Speed Limits

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Sep 9 18:48:02 UTC 2014

There's a functional difference between speed limits and the actual speed
driven. For ETA prediction, speed limit data is not all that useful -
detailed historical and live speed profiles are. That is not data that is
in OSM (or should be). The speed limits are mostly useful for alerting
drivers they may be driving too fast. For a system like that to be feasible
you will need comprehensive posted speed limit coverage, which OSM
currently does not have.

Martijn