[Talk-us] Prima Facie Speed Limits

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:52:59 UTC 2014

> I agree there is a need to have a way to deal with this. Where I have
> checked a street, in both directions, for a posted speed limit and found
> none, I tag the street as maxspeed=unposted, source:maxspeed=survey. This
> makes it clear that the street has been checked in the field and found not
> to have a posted speed limit.

one problem I could see with that approach is that the information density
in your 2 tags is very low (the "unposted" value doesn't say anything about
the actual speed limit and the survey-value could be seen as implicit for
this kind of tag). IMHO putting an actual limit into the maxspeed key is
valueable, regardless whether this is signposted or an implicit limit,
because this is the speed information that most drivers on that road will
be interested in (typically).

Cheers,
Martin