[Talk-us] TIGER 2014 update

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 04:57:05 UTC 2014

Richard Welty wrote "the question is how much work are you willing to do to
use it."

The answer is simple - verry little.

I've been doing quite a lot of armchair mapping recently.

1) Pushing crazy TIGER roads around in residential and rural areas.
2) Adding missing roads in Las Vegas (and adding new ones from actual
surevy last month).
3) Unabbreviating roads in Las Vegas and in the Denver Area.
4) Readding roads and road names (deleted during the redaction) in Victoria
Australia, from the VICMap tms layer
5) Doing manyy of the tasks from the maproulette "crossing ways" challenge.

This means that I spend all of my "Osm" time on mapping using tools created
by others (or from driving around my state) but have no time or
inclination to develop these tools.

There are about 150 roads in Las Vegas that do not have suffixes and I'm
hoping that the 2014 data will addreess this problem.
Also there were a lot of new gated communities in Las Vegas that are as yet
unnamed in TIGER 2013, and I was not able to drive into these. I'm hoping
that some (maybe even most) of these will appear in the new 2014 Tiger data.