[Talk-us] Merging NYC buildings

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Sep 19 16:26:25 UTC 2014

On 9/19/2014 6:19 AM, Reilly, Colin wrote:
> A single building cannot straddle two tax parcels.
This seems incorrect. If I build a structure on two tax parcels, it can
exist as a single building. It may not be legal, or may require planning
tricks that make it two buildings in the eyes of the city, but if I
survey it and it's one building, I will map it so.

In dense urban areas the edges of buildings can often only be determined
by surveys, not by imagery, as the imagery only shows the roofs
generally, and roofs may change appearance within a building or not
change appearance between two adjacent buildings.