[Talk-us] US Chapter board elections - time is running out!

Martijn van Exel martijn at openstreetmap.us
Tue Sep 30 17:11:52 UTC 2014

I do agree that that is a challenge, and we have lost valuable time with
the loss of institutional knowledge. We do have systems in place that
should make the transition to a new board easier, but I agree that
staggered terms make sense. We did actually discuss this with the current
board, but I believe it would require a change to the bylaws which we just
haven't gotten around to yet. Something for the next board to pick up!

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Luis Villa <lvilla at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>
> wrote:
>
>> this sort of thing happens from time to time. i wouldn't worry about it
>> much. i was at one time the only holdover from one board to the next.
>>

> Again, outsider/lurker, take with grain of salt, IANYL, etc., etc., but in
> my past experience this sort of turnover is hard for an org to handle - you
> lose a lot of institutional knowledge. The next board might consider either
> growing (which reduces the odds of everyone burning out at once) or moving
> to longer, staggered terms so only some seats are up for election in any
> given year. Or both. :)
>
> Luis
>
> --
> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Martijn van Exel
President, US Chapter
OpenStreetMap