[Talk-us] USA Rail: Calling all OSM railfans! (especially in California)

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Apr 2 21:05:03 UTC 2015

Russ Nelson writes:
>There are maps which are canonical sources of facts about the world,
>such as a BNSF map naming subdivisions. No one can own a fact about
>the world, because it's a fact. Just like you can't patent math. Same
>idea. You can copyright a collection of facts. You can copyright the
>arrangement of facts. You can copy the presentation of facts. But you
>can't copyright the individual facts.

I take this brief opportunity to encourage OSM volunteers who wish to
"better" named rail subdivisions in the USA that "these data are out
there."  These are indeed "facts about the world" and just because it
seems as though they are "locked up" in private hands (a rail company
or protected by copyright on a particular map) does NOT mean that
such "facts about the world" cannot be put into OSM.  THEY CAN!

Of course, I adhere to "don't copy from other maps" but I explicitly
agree with OSM's maxim to "be bold" entering data when they are
clearly "facts about the world."  We have the ability to discern
this, and we should.

Railways are big, long, industrial things that snake hundreds and
thousands of kilometers through our landscapes.  Chunks of them have
names, just as you would expect anything else hundreds of kilometers
long to have names.  They are regulated by many levels of
governmental agencies, whose job it is (partly) is to keep track of
these names.  Go get 'em, and go put 'em in OSM.  Thanks to all who
do.

SteveA
California