[Talk-us] Moving historic railroad ways from OSM to OpenHistoricalMap

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Apr 3 00:47:19 UTC 2015

Mike N writes:
 > On 4/1/2015 10:51 PM, Russ Nelson wrote:
 > > I don't have an awful lot of use of OpenHistoricalMap because it's a
 > > faux-layer.
 >
 > What if OpenRailwayMap could pull from OpenHistoricalMap to do a
 > complete rendering, even though it's a faux-layer?

Presumably they would do exactly that. The problem is that once you
have two different representations of the same thing, in separate
databases, they get out of synch with each other. Say that you're
trying to use OSMAnd to find where a railroad went out in the field
(which I do all the time). You get to a point where OSMAnd switches to
OHM, and OHM has gotten out of sync (say, because the aerial
photography got better). Now you're lost because the the railroad is
no longer connected. It's off wherever.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog