[Talk-us] perceptions of OHM and other similar projects

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:40:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:17 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>
wrote:

> so one of the things from recent discussion that concerns me are
> perceptions out there about projects parallel to OSM that are designed
> to complement it, specifically OHM. here is an outline of the view from
> OHM, and i'm interesting in understanding why some treat the whole
> project so dismissively (note that i'm a little bit of a late comer to OHM,
> i've been following it with interest since it started but only just
> recently
> started contributing directly.)
>
> OHM was created because of the perceived desire to start handling
> historic spatial data and characterize temporal aspects of it. the whole
> idea is that we accept that OSM is not a good place for this data, so
> why not create such a place?
>

> i think the long term future of OSM will probably involve more
> OHM like projects to supplement OSM. my question is how will
> the core OSM community treat them? right now it seems very
> mixed.

If you are asking for an opinion, then this is the kind-of thing that is a
detriment to OSM.  Whereas I try to use OpenSeaMap tags where I can for the
limited features that sea map applies, I won't go out of my way to add data
to OSH.  My main concern is that OSH defuses mapping resources that are
already sparse in the US.  That we couldn't find a set of tags to keep the
data in the main OSM database is part of the problems of OSM as a project.
There's still plenty to do but OSM the project is moribund.

Regards,
Greg