[Talk-us] perceptions of OHM and other similar projects

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Apr 4 13:11:13 UTC 2015

On 4/4/15 8:29 AM, Mike Dupont wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com
> <mailto:nelson at crynwr.com>> wrote:
>
>     If the two were layers in the same database, or if they have been
>     tagged using railway=dismantled and railway=abandoned, then it's no
>     problem to look at them, render them, edit them, analyze them
>

> I still dont understand why we dont support multiple layers. It would
> seem to be the most logical thing to do and the api could support that
> so simple clients could download a different layers each time.

i was thinking that it'd be pretty easy to set up a leaflet widget to
display an OSM basemap with OHM railroad data as a vector overlay,
but then it occurred to me that Russ is frequently mapping in areas
with no cell signal so that won't work.

but OsmAnd (which i think is what Russ uses for his offline maps) can
import layers sourced elsewhere, so there may be a path there.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search