[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Apr 4 14:46:40 UTC 2015

Am 03.04.2015 um 02:41 schrieb stevea:
> Facts about the world
> Simon Poole writes:
>> Up to now OSM has drawn the line in such a way that stuff that is
>> signposted and is observable on the ground is fair game (with some
>> exceptions, I believe the GR issue is still unsolved).
>
> Yes, all of that is fair game.  Though I don't know what "the GR
> issue" is, and ask you to please clarify.

Sorry for the late answer, been on the road for two days and now are on
a rather flaky network connection.  See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes#France for a very
short synopsis of the GR issue.

> ......  As "facts about the world," these data belong to us, and when
> true, we can put them into OSM.  (Sometimes such data, like airline
> routes, are inappropriate to put into OSM -- but that's another topic).

I think where we differ is that I see OSM (not only) as a project that
demonstrates (in practical use) what citizens can do with today's
technology, in an area that just a couple of years back was completely
controlled by government and industry.  If by doing so, more government
data becomes freely available then that is a nice side effect, but not a
primary goal.

I don't see it as a vehicle to promote any specific agenda outside of
the relatively narrow goals of the project itself. In particular I don't
see potentially impacting the primary goal of providing free (as in free
of legal restrictions by third parties) geo data to everyone by becoming
embrolied in legal fights just to prove a point.

It is my subjective impression is that we are just on the brink of the
project being unworkable because our contributors are too bold in using
third party sources -not- the other way around (and yes when I get back
home I have to deal with removing months of work by a mapper together
with the DWG because they were too bold).

Simon