[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Apr 4 17:55:57 UTC 2015

On 4/3/2015 10:06 PM, Eleanor Tutt wrote:
> Paul - If perception of mapping in the US isn't aligning with reality,
> we probably *do* need to do a better job as a chapter board of telling
> the full story. I see what you mean about the blog posts, though I do
> think your interpretation is a bit harsh. For example, the mapathon
> post that you characterize as an "indoor event," while it does
> admittedly have a photo of people at computers, also makes it clear
> that the theme for the upcoming mapathon is "the great outdoors."
>  Eventually, most people do enter the data they collect in the field
> into the OSM while at a computer, and as a mapathon organizer, I don't
> always remember to take good "action shot" photos.  Rather than assume
> no one set foot outdoors, why not assume that no one remembered to
> stop mapping to take a photo, because mapping outdoors is really fun?
I thought hard about the mapathon/editathon posts. I ended putting them
down as indoors because that's how their publicity has historically
been. I'm aware that not all are indoors-only events, but I was looking
at what the US chapter publicizes.

Seattle has mapping parties that go outdoors in suitable weather which I
attend - it's not that I'm unaware of surveying going on in the US, but
Martijn asked about the role the US chapter plays, which I think the
data solidly answers.