[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Sat Apr 4 21:21:42 UTC 2015

TIGER is much older than reasonably portable GPS units. It was originally developed for the 1990 Census, which means work began much earlier than that. In 1990, handheld GPS units were not even available to the military.

Much of the original data was traced from paper maps (which is also true of a great deal of GIS data in use today).

They have an ongoing project to update the data in cooperation with local governments, but those entities are often resource constrained themselves. It would be great if we could share OSM data with them all, but of course we can't.

d.