[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Apr 5 02:41:50 UTC 2015

On 4/3/2015 5:32 PM, Eleanor Tutt wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing more about how and why people contribute to
> the map.

  It's just a hobby for me, a way to get out and learn some obscure
facts about a place.   Most contributions come from a GPS survey or
local observation.   Although I believe I could get permission from my
county and an adjoining county for importing buildings and addresses,
I'm intentionally not bothering with that import because I'm not sure
who would use the data yet anyway.   (In the US, everyone uses Google,
so they shrug at OSM).   In the meantime, I am adding addresses of most
POIs / landmarks that I enter into OSM.

   There are now 3 major contributors in my area, up from 1 for many
years.  One pulls extensively from survey data he collects from daily
travels.   The other one has created some detailed landuse coverage for
the region.   I'm ashamed to admit that he hasn't actually traversed
each landuse area with a GPS, but is instead using Bing<g>, and by the
way NOT AN IMPORT.