[Talk-us] North Carolina Outer Banks

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Sun Apr 5 13:37:07 UTC 2015

On Saturday, April 04, 2015 09:08:50 PM Richard Welty wrote:
> On 4/4/15 7:48 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Jeff Klein <jeff.klein.nc at gmail.com
> >
> > <mailto:jeff.klein.nc at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     If I am correct, probably confused, the map sets only go as far
> >     east as -76 West, which excludes the Outer Banks of North
> >     Carolina. How do I get maps that go further east?
> >
> > Have you search for the Outer Banks in OSM? It
> > returns http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/357813099, which looks like
> > the outer banks to someone living in Washington State.
>
> i've done a bit of mapping on the Outer Banks when i've
> been there on vacation. it all looks fine to me.

I suspect the requester is looking specifically for something called "Outer
Banks" on the map.  As someone who grew up down in that area I can tell you
that there is no such place.  The Outer Banks, or OBX, is largely a marketing
term and refers to much of the peninsula, Hatteras Island, and Ocracoke Island
but isn't a town or county.

It would probably be better to search for the specific town you are looking
for.  Duck, Rodanthe, Manteo, Avon, Buxton, and Hatteras Village (to name a
few) will get the map to you much better than trying to look for something
specific within a region that is roughly 120 miles long (and at best a mile or
so wide).

--Eric