[Talk-us] Moving historic railroad ways from OSM to OpenHistoricalMap

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Apr 5 18:01:51 UTC 2015

Serge Wroclawski writes:
 > Propertly boundaries is something that people have wanted, and
 > we've resisted putting in OSM, despite it being useful for a
 > variety of people.

For much more practical reasons, mostly that they would blow up the
database and introduce a huge number of ways that every editor would
immediately add to the JOSM 'hide' list.

The scale is completely different. The number of railways tagged as
dismantled (or as abandoned which ought to be dismantled) is miniscule
in comparison.

 > I see people who want to know what to do when they encounter a
 > feature they can't see on the ground.

If it's not TIGER data and it has tags, leave it there. Seems like a
simple rule to me. If you don't understand why the editor added it,
ask them.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog