[Talk-us] perceptions of OHM and other similar projects

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:17:15 UTC 2015

There would be only one database. the layer would just be a filter that
would not display the railways.
if a railway is glued to a node which is moved in another layer, we would
have to duplicate it, so no data can be accidentally changed if not visible.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> Mike  Dupont writes:
>  > On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > If the two were layers in the same database, or if they have been
>  > > tagged using railway=dismantled and railway=abandoned, then it's no
>  > > problem to look at them, render them, edit them, analyze them
>  > >
>  >
>  > I still dont understand why we dont support multiple layers. It would
> seem
>  > to be the most logical thing to do and the api could support that so
> simple
>  > clients could download a different layers each time.
>
> The problem is keeping them in synch. If you have a node that
> represents the same thing (e.g. the end of a bridge way), and it's in
> two layers, what happens when somebody downloads layer 1, and moves
> the node? How does it get updated in layer 2? Smarter people than me
> have thought about it and seen worse problems.
>
> --
> --my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com
> Crynwr supports open source software
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com