[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:27:49 UTC 2015

> The wiki already explains: they hold a trademark for GR which makes
> using the "official" names of the routes essentially impossible in and
> for material they hold protection for and further they seem to claim
> copyright on the routes themselves, which is not particularly far
> fetched and can't be dismissed out of hand.

I do agree that they might likely have copyright on the routes, and that we
maybe can't reproduce their routes in our db, but I do question that we
can't map their signposts. Reasoning: the routes are nothing physically
existing, they are, similar to a novel, creative works made up by someone,
and that someone will probably hold copyright on them. The routes are not
facts, they are works of creativity and ingenuity. But the signposts are
facts, observable in reality, and while their graphic layout, logos,
colors, composition, fonts, text, will likely be protected by copyright,
I'd question the concept that their pure existence cannot be told about
(i.e. without reproducing them with a foto, drawing or similar).

Cheers,
Martin