[Talk-us] Am I doing this right? Houses w/ addresses

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 20:53:03 UTC 2015

Excellent job Steve,

I believe that house addresses is the only thing missing from OSM that is
stopping it from becoming the mainstream mapping data of choice!
I’ve always been interested in how to collect addresses, which can be a
time consuming and difficult task. Walking around a neighborhood with paper
and pencil peering into people’s letter boxes and at their front doors may
upset some people, so I’ve though up a (possibly) better way.

Two people, in a car. Two GPS units, probably both smartphones, one
recording the track log and the other recording the passengers voice.

As you drive down the road, the passenger calls out something like…..

12 left 15right 14 left  16 right….. turning left on main street, 67 left
etc, etc..
Then later in an editor you can match times from the two sources and
compare against Bing imagery to correctly place the house numbers.

Cheers