[Talk-us] Am I doing this right? Houses w/ addresses

Frederick Hunter fhunterz at verizon.net
Sun Apr 12 14:29:58 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I used to use a dashcam in my car to record addresses as it would
overlay coordinates on the video feed making it easy to determine where
I was. But as some folks mentioned, it is difficult to see the house
number when going over 35-40KM/h. Now I use it to capture store names
and add those to OSM after looking them up online.

I later discovered the MassGIS L3 Parcel data that can be overlaid onto
the map in JOSM to make finding and adding addresses much quicker.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parcel
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MassGIS

I found it easier to use two monitors side by side (one with an online
viewer of the parcel data and one with the OSM online editor). When
submitting the changeset I reference the datasource as MassGIS L3 parcel
data.

In your case, if you want to map in OC, I found some public address data
on a map using this page: http://landrecords.ocpublicworks.com/ocsl
(Unfortunately I could only get this to work on Windows and Internet
Explorer with Silverlight - so no luck for us Linux fans). Just be sure
to verify the data is not out of date on their maps.

I attached two screenshots of the same location you provided earlier
using the OC landrecords page:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/33.65699/-117.65517&layers=N

Just be sure to click on the layers button, select Parcel features and
check off Parcels, Parcel Address, and Parcel numbers to add the address
information to the map when zoomed in.

Cheers,

Frederick