[Talk-us] Tagging National Forests

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:17:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM Torsten Karzig <Torsten.Karzig at web.de>
wrote:

> As mentioned earlier part of the problem is a confusion between tagging
> what is there (landcover) and what it is used for (landuse). In the wiki we
> actually have a consistent approach (Approach 1) to make this distinction.
> Using natural=wood as a landcover tag and landuse=forest for areas of land
> managed for forestry. On top of this we of cause still have administrative
> boundaries.
>
> For me applying this to National Forests would mean:
>
> Using administrative boundaries to mark the entire "National Forest".
> Remove the landuse=forest tag except for regions that are clearly used for
> "forestry". This does not apply to most parts of the National forests in
> Southern California that I have seen. Although these areas are "managed" in
> the sense that someone administrates it (hence the administrative boundary)
> most parts of these National Forest are largely left alone and the
> possibility to collect deadwood does in my opinion not qualify as forestry.
> Finally, any larger regions that are covered with trees should be tagged as
> natural=wood. Other landcovers (scrub,water) can also be tagged as
> appropriate.
>
> The great advantage of the above tagging scheme is in my opinion that it
> is very easy to follow for the mapper on the ground. Knowing whether I am
> allowed to collect deadwood or not in a particular area is not easy to
> verify on the ground, and, in my opinion, not as important as defining
> landcovers or obvious landuses. Moreover, it is very confusing for someone
> that uses the map if there is a large green region marked as landuse=forest
> and on the ground there is no forestry, or obvious management, or trees.
>
> Torsten

Agree..

Not every square inch of a National Forest has (or will have) trees on it.
There are grasslands, mountains, lakes.

Plus, the stated goal of the USFS isn't solely to grow trees in a national
forest. Land management of these areas focuses on conservation, timber
harvesting, livestock grazing, watershed protection, wildlife, and
recreation.  So it's not all about the "forest".