[Talk-us] U turn restrictions in areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Aug 18 16:45:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> A colleague pointed out that there are areas (towns) where U turn
> restrictions are in place that govern all streets in that area. I wonder:
>
> 1) Does anyone know if this is common? I don't have any anecdotal
> experience.

Oregon.  All of it.  Unless otherwise posted, U-turns are prohibited in the
following conditions:

a) Any intersection with an electrical signal (this includes single-aspect,
always-flashing signals; HAWKs <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAWK_beacon>
and half-signalized intersections (the cross street faces a stop sign and a
pedestrian signal, the through street faces a traffic light; only
pedestrians can trigger the traffic light)), anywhere in the state.
b) Any point between intersections when inside city limits.
c) Anytime oncoming traffic can't see you make such a turn in advance at
least 500 feet ahead in the city or 1000 feet outside city limits.

Fine is $120 (and a mark on whatever strikeout system they have now for
motorists if you're not on a bicycle, skateboard or other human powered
locomotion when you do it; yes, making such a turn on a motorized
wheelchair would count as a motor vehicle for this enforcement!).  Yes,
this means the number of places you can legally make a U-turn anywhere in
the state is countable on your digits if you take your shoes off.  Then
ODOT just gets plain asshole with this in Beaverton, where there's signage
on OR 8 at the first few signals leading west from OR 217 where there's a U
TURN PERMITTED sign with a CARS ONLY supplemental placard, in which any
reasonable person would assume they mean "NO TRUCKS" or other long vehicles
with a wide turning radius, but Beaverton Police routinely pop bicycles and
motorcycles for the move...

> 2) Is there a known tagging scheme for this? Area based traffic
> resctrictions?

No, but it would be handy, because there's literally no way anybody's
tagging this for every approach of every intersection with a traffic light,
HAWK or half-signal in Oregon that doesn't have an explicit exception.