[Talk-us] Tagging National Forests

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Aug 18 23:17:20 UTC 2015

Torsten Karzig wrote:
>>As mentioned earlier part of the problem is a confusion between
>>tagging what is there (landcover) and what it is used for
>>(landuse). In the wiki we actually have a consistent approach
>>(Approach 1) to make this distinction. Using natural=wood as a
>>landcover tag and landuse=forest for areas of land managed for
>>forestry. On top of this we of cause [sic] (course) still have
>>administrative boundaries.
>>
>>For me applying this to National Forests would mean:
>>
>>Using administrative boundaries to mark the entire "National Forest".

I agree with this approach and have said and done so many times:
boundary=protected_area and protect_class=6 are appropriate tags on
USFS (National Forest) polygons.  However, as mentioned, there are
other appropriate tags in this schema which might ALSO be
appropriate, too.  For example, many National Forests have included
within them designated Wilderness area, then boundary=protected_area
and protect_class=1b are appropriate.  While it may be true that in
some places "6 and 1b overlap," where that is true it should be
corrected to be one or the other (6 OR 1b OR whatever protect_class
is appropriate).

>>Remove the landuse=forest tag except for regions that are clearly
>>used for "forestry".

Now, slow down here.  It has been (and is, I argue) quite reasonable
to tag National Forests landuse=forest, EXCEPT where it is
SPECIFICALLY known that absolutely NO timber production is occurring
anywhere within the polygon.  It is a tall order to know this to be
true, and I again argue that even an administrative boundary called a
forest SHOULD sensibly start with a tagging of landuse=forest, UNLESS
you KNOW either the whole area or specific sub-areas to NOT allow
timber production under any circumstances (and then it is OK to
remove the landuse=forest tag).  Where are those specific sub-areas?
Well, find out and map them.  Otherwise, leave alone the
landuse=forest tag.

And listen up:  me collecting downed wood for a camp fire is
darn-tootin' timber production, as this is my/our forest, and I use
it as such.  So don't take away from me/us (or the map) a
landuse=forest tag when I (or another owner) can do this, as it is
flat out incorrect to remove landuse=forest when it is being used as
a forest.  Even one person collecting firewood makes this so.  Don't
like this?  Please defend your argument.  Our forests are forests,
because we use the land this way.

>>This does not apply to most parts of the National forests in
>>Southern California that I have seen. Although these areas are
>>"managed" in the sense that someone administrates it (hence the
>>administrative boundary) most parts of these National Forest are
>>largely left alone and the possibility to collect deadwood does in
>>my opinion not qualify as forestry.

I wholeheartedly disagree:  this needs to be bolstered with more
authority than simply this.  ("What you have seen" and "in your
opinion").

>>Finally, any larger regions that are covered with trees should be
>>tagged as natural=wood. Other landcovers (scrub,water) can also be
>>tagged as appropriate.

Mmmmm, be careful:  the natural=wood tag is for what are essentially
primeval trees, never logged or only having been timber production
long, long, long ago.  I think you are wishing this tag to be used to
denote what is better stated using a landcover=* tag, something that
remains still fuzzily-defined.  Please don't conflate natural=wood
with what is better stated using a landcover=* tag.  This is subtle,
but we need to establish a correct/best way to do this.

>>The great advantage of the above tagging scheme is in my opinion
>>that it is very easy to follow for the mapper on the ground.
>>Knowing whether I am allowed to collect deadwood or not in a
>>particular area is not easy to verify on the ground, and, in my
>>opinion, not as important as defining landcovers or obvious
>>landuses.

Here, we disagree on numerous points:  the mapper on the ground
cannot tell that collection of downed wood to make a campfire is or
is not allowed, yet it may or may not be.  So, get that point right
(with landuse=forest if so), as it is an important one.  It IS
important to many users of the map, this one, Charlotte and others
here have said so.  You want to define landcovers?  Fine, define
them.  Leave the landuse=forest tag alone where it is true and you
cannot verify otherwise.  If you can verify otherwise, do so with
exact polygons with appropriate tags.

>>Moreover, it is very confusing for someone that uses the map if
>>there is a large green region marked as landuse=forest and on the
>>ground there is no forestry, or obvious management, or trees.

No, it is not confusing to me.  There are large segments of National
Forest so tagged in Nevada, for example, which (by my personal
experience) have no trees, but have deadwood (tumbleweeds and other
downed wood blown by the wind...) available for me to make a
campfire.  BECAUSE this is a National Forest, and BECAUSE this area
is properly tagged as landuse=forest, I CAN USE THIS LAND AS A FOREST
and collect the downed wood and make a fire.  This is important, and
not just to me, and even if this confuses you because you "see green
on the map but there are no trees" does not mean it is incorrect.  It
IS correct tagging, land USE tagging.  It seems you need to "unlearn"
what you see on the map when you see how landuse=forest is rendered
as green.  It does NOT mean "trees are here."  It DOES mean "this
area of land is used as a forest."  Adjust your eyeballs accordingly,
please.

Brian May writes:
>Been following the thread and want to say Torsten sums up the issue very well.

Mmm, not really.

>Its an issue of administrative boundary + landcover + land use. And
>its going to get complicated to properly model land use and
>landcover. Relations using multi-polygons may be needed.

Yes.  This I agree with.  Although I might "order" them as
administrative boundary, landuse and landcover as those seem to be
the primary, secondary and tertiary "importances" (you may disagree,
but at least if we have all three of these accurately tagged,
arguments should be reduced or eliminated).

>Also I think its been mentioned the boundary should be tagged as
>boundary=protected_area which handles the overall mission of
>national forests is to conserve our forests. However, the issue
>comes up that there are different levels of conservation ranging
>from untouched wilderness to "actively managed" areas, e.g.
>sustainable forestry, so a blanket boundary=protected_area may not
>be appropriate. Is there another tag that covers a more mixed bag?
>Is a new tag needed?

Careful, Brian:  the mission of our National Forests includes their
enjoyment for timber production by their owner, the People.  If
conservation were "a (or the) primary mission" then you might argue
that we tag National Forests with landuse=conservation.  But you
shouldn't, I don't and we ought not to:  they are forests, not areas
of conservation.  This is a knife-edge of an argument, I agree, as
clear-cutting did occur in some of these areas but is not likely to
in the future.  But they can still be logged, and so are
landuse=forest.

SteveA
California