[Talk-us] Gosh ... something about mapping ...

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:45:34 UTC 2015

Simon,

Great work so far! I enjoy reading the MUTCD (nerd alert). I'll think of
some things to add. So far I think we could include the no hazmat signs (
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2b_30_longdesc.htm) which are
governed by the key:hazmat tag (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:hazmat).

I think that with more efforts these days to improve routing with street
signs (https://twitter.com/peterneubauer/status/671660804484239360), it
would be useful to create a 1:1 mapping of all MUTCD traffic control
devices. This list is a great starting point, as exclusions are important
to routing, and not typically observable via air photo.

Best,

Elliott

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> To give us all a break from the usual political machinations at this
> time of year I've drawn up the following table
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_MUTCD_exclusionary_signs_to_OSM_access
>
> The context is the work I've been doing on
> https://github.com/simonpoole/beautified-JOSM-preset which is the
> default preset for Vespucci http://vespucci.io/ (obviously on mobile
> devices being able to touch an icon is preferable to typing).
>
> Any opinions on the mappings, and what would you consider signs that you
> frequently map?
>
> Feedback and patches welcome!
>
> Simon

Elliott Plack