[Talk-us] Gosh ... something about mapping ...

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Dec 2 09:17:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Harald Kliems <kliems at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very useful, Simon. Thanks!
>
> Slightly OT: Can anybody explain what R5-5, "No vehicles with lugs" means?
> I'm assuming it doesn't refer to vehicles like this
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MyBrrEGexIg/TEIogw5nrdI/AAAAAAAAAFk/Jl7SF5tfQV0/s1600/L9990154.JPG

Usually is meant to mean vehicles whose (metal) tracks or wheels have
flanges, cleats, lugs or other projections that tend to tear up the
pavement.  The sign is somewhat obsolete now and goes back to when most
motor vehicles in America were metal-wheeled tractors with *huge* lugs that
were designed to sink deep into topsoil for traction (these days, most such
equipment is trailered or has rubber tires).