[Talk-us] For comment: import of amenity=bicycle_repair_stations

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 03:58:37 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 12:40 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> To summarize: a proposed import of of bicycle repair stations. The  database
> is maintained by a vendor of bicycle repair stations, the data quality is
> spot on in many cases, and "geocoding level" in other cases with the pins
> generally in the right area.   The stations are too small to find on an air
> photo, but frequently do appear in press releases than be found with a
> search engine.
>
> The vendor uses OSM as a base map:
> http://www.dero.com/fixitmap/fixitmap.html
> The discussion is on the imports list.
> The data is at:
> http://www.dero.com/fixitmap/fixitmap.html
> Discussion centers on how best to improve the inexact pin locations.

I've been meaning to go see one of these since you introduced the
topic back in January.  Curiosity fosters most of my mapping. I was in
the area and surveyed the actual location.  In my case the bicycle
repair station was on the south side of the Cronkite building but on
the north side of the parking garage.  That makes sense because it was
by the bike lockers.  I have a bunch of pictures that I can include on
your import page or add some US flair to the bicycle_repair_station
tag page for the main article if you would like.  Please let me know.

Here's some questions and notes:

I don't see the need to limit the tool list to the one listed in the
bicycle_repair_station wiki page. I added service:bicycle:screwdriver
to the POI that I added.  That would be handy to know for other people
than just bicycle people.  I did not look at all the other available
tools on the stand.

In a note tag I added a reference to your import page.  That would be
useful for other mappers to know why and how.

I added service:bicycle:charging=no based on the main page.  There's a
few electric bicycle shops around downtown.

I added a website tag and pointed to the Dero fix it map.

I added source_alt = survey.  I am guessing that source=osmsync:dero
is part of you conflation process.  If so, then you might want to make
that clear on you import page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Dero_Bike_Repair

I dutifully added ref=<none> but did not understand the point.  Will
this be part of the conflation magic?  If so, then you might want to
make that clear on you import page.

There is a problem with ref=<none> if you are going to create a one
touch preset.  Please see the preset below.  I had to change the
preset to <key key="ref" value=".none." />.  The "<none>" generates
this error during Josm startup, " Error parsing ...az_preset.xml: The
value of attribute "value" associated with an element type "null" must
not contain the "character.  That was way off in left field if you ask
me. <> must generate an xml error.

    <item name="Dero POI"
icon="images/../styles/standard/vehicle/rental/bicycle.png"
type="node" preset_name_label="true">
      <key key="amenity" value="bicycle_repair_station" />
      <key key="brand" value="Dero" />
      <key key="opening_hours" value="24/7" />
      <key key="operator" value="Arizona State University" />
      <key key="note"
value="https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Dero_Bike_Repair" />
      <key key="ref" value=".none." />
      <key key="service:bicycle:chaintool" value="no" />
      <key key="service:bicycle:charging" value="no" />
      <key key="service:bicycle:pump" value="yes" />
      <key key="service:bicycle:screwdriver" value="yes" />
      <key key="source" value="osmsync:dero" />
      <key key="source_alt" value="survey" />
      <key key="website" value="http://www.dero.com/fixitmap/fixitmap.html" />
    </item>

Here's my change information.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/28718833
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3339010296

I don't know if this will render but I think it would be useful to on
the bicycle map.

Regards,
Greg