[Talk-us] Tagging addresses on area's

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 04:11:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

>> > The addr:housenumber doesn't render anyway if the
>> > building has also been tagged as another POI that renders.
>>

>> I've solved this problem by putting the address on the building.  If
>> the building also has a POI tag such as amenity=fuel, I move this tag
>> to a new POI node.  I place the POI node so that both the
>> addr:housenumber render along with the POI information.  Addresses and
>> buildings don't change as much as how  busiensses can come and go.
>

> This seems to be "tagging for the renderer" which is not a good idea.  If
> the only thing occupying the building is a single POI, then put the POI tags
> on the closed Way for the building outline.  By adding a new object (Node)
> for the POI, you are also going against the "One feature, one OSM element"
> idea.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice

Tagging for rendering would be adding tags to make it render.  In my
book, all I am doing in this case is unstacking duplicate nodes as if
the Keepright map pointed these out.  Perhaps I'll read the last two
wiki pages.  What you quote is new to me.  The wiki pages also say
that I should fill in our dry river beds with some sort of water tag
so we paint pretty blue tiles like Google and other maps do.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/33.4185/-112.0503   The problem
with that idea is that the blue tiles would obscure the recreational
opportunities that the canals and river beds afford my area. Had my
local knowledge been available during World War II, then the German
UBoat prisoners might have had a different plan than floating down the
Salt River to the Pacific Ocean. http://brazilbrazil.com/powcamp.html
;-)

> There are renderers in existence that will display both the house number and the name of a restaurant with food icon.

This is the only render system that I know
http://www.openstreetmap.org/. It does not do what you say.

Regards,
Greg