[Talk-us] access road routing

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:41:46 UTC 2015

> I would tag *access=destination* here, and hope routers don't use that
> route unless the way is within the bounding box (or at least near) to my
> destination.

My apologies for not playing catchup by reading the entire thread.

The context of 'access' seemed to me used only in cases where the end of
the potential route ends at some sort of termination, i.e. 'the last mile'.
Even in the case where there are multiple 'access' lings to a single
termination point, the idea is that even router would not then route
preferentially route through two of these links to find the shortest path.
In cases of transitions between major official routes, infrastructure, or
inter-modal transitions ( road-->ferrry, etc.), there seems to be a
plethora of existing tags for entrance and exit ramps, collectors, lane
restrictions, etc. that handle the transitions between high volume routes.

This can probably be better articulated by someone more experienced with
OSM routing.

Michael Patrick
Geospatial Analyst