[Talk-us] Should this be a dual carriageway?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jan 12 00:32:40 UTC 2015

(I'm writing from the perspective of having driven Route 6 from the
sagamore bridge to north eastham every summer for many years, and to
Provincetown a few years ago.)

If we're talking about where Route 6 goes from 2 lanes each direction
with a real median down to one lane in each direction with a yellow line
with plastic thingies stuck up, ending at the orleans rotary, it was
still like that in late August of 2014, unchanged for many years.
Construction of that would be such big news that Lars and I would have
heard about it.

I don't know when this picture was taken:
  http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/mid-cape/img10.gif
but it looked like that last summer.  In particular, that's a bridge
for the cape code rail trail, and is probably
http://osm.org/go/Ze0Y15wyd--

It definitely should be trunk.  It's nowhere near motorway (no real
median, 1 lane each way).  It's way better than a regular US highway, in
that it is limited access, with higher speeds.  I see it's been retagged
recently, and I concur.

However, north of the rotary for quite a while, it should just be
primary.  There are intersections and lights all over the place, nothing
better than an ordinary US highwway that happens to have two lanes each
way.  It's posted "40 and we really mean it", for what that's worth,
which is kind of like being posted 30 :-) I can see calling it trunk
north of Wellfleet until Ptown starts, but it's iffy.