[Talk-us] Bike route relation issues

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 12 19:17:43 UTC 2015

I think last time I doublechecked it, something like 30 or 35 states allow
nonmotorized access to freeways, making those that don't somewhat of a
minority.  However, given that 97%(?) of the population of the US lives in
the ~215 lower-48 metropolitan areas (that is, pretty much any city large
enough to have a suburb of separate incorporation, of which the smallest
and newest could very well be Eufaula, OK (with it's suburb of Carlton
Landing, which someone recently shifted it's centroid node across the lane
and dropped it to a hamlet even though it's an incorporated town as of last
year), and 90% of that being in the top 100 largest of those metros, most
people live nearest to a relative minority of freeway miles that don't
allow all modes.

That said, given that I've pretty much only ever lived in the emptiest
states in the country plus California, unless you're on one of the urban
freeways that does allow bicycles, and you plan on biking the freeway, you
better be prepared to go 20-50+ miles without stopping.  I remember seeing
one cyclist back in 2011 on I 80 between exit 4 and 41, a 37, nearly 38
mile gap between exits (third longest stretch between exits in the US), and
in the direction I was going, that next exit wasn't going to be someplace
you wanted to stop anyway.