[Talk-us] Place classifications

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 19:23:26 UTC 2015

Great start on this Minh,

I tried to tackle this in the Baltimore Washington region last year. After
reading the wiki, I decided on the following classifications:

* hamlet: census population was less than 200
* village: census pop. between 200 and 10000
* town: census pop. between 10001 and 50000
* city: major hub urban centers above 50000

There are some CDPs though that would be a city by population alone, but
really don't have a true city feel, and cartographically would look bad as
being a city on a map. The tricky one is Glen Burnie, sprawl area south of
Baltimore with no urban core, yet the pop is over 65k. It is marked as a
city now, but really should be town I think. I like your one city per
metropolis idea.

Elliott