[Talk-us] Abandoned Buildings in Baltimore

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 21:49:50 UTC 2015

In the dataset, those ones are owned by the city. When the property becomes
vacant and the landlord can't pay the taxes, the landlords default and the
city scoops the property up for non-payment of taxes. The 16K in this
dataset are just the ones the city owns. There are apparently many more
that are held by banks or someone hoping to make a buck if gentrification
expands there. Here is a typical street with vacants in Baltimore [1].

If I were to classify "abandoned" buildings myself, I'd go by the wiki
definition which would include buildings that "have fallen into serious
disrepair and which could only be put back into operation with expensive
effort" [2]. However, if we even include the data, it would only be for
buildings the city has identified as vacant.

You've raised a good point that it'd be hard to mechanically determine
whether a building is abandoned or disused. I'll have to check if the
dataset is only for truly abandoned buildings like the ones above.

Kindly,

Elliott

[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandrabitar/3771516836/
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:abandoned