[Talk-us] GNIS POI populations

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Jan 13 13:34:32 UTC 2015

It looks like most of the place=city/town/village/hamlet POIs from GNIS
are tagged with 2000 Census populations in the population tag. These
population tags allow renderers to label places with font sizes
corresponding to population, which is a pretty common use case.

I think we should consider a mechanical edit to update these tags to the
2010 Census figures en masse. I've been updating individual places as I
edit them for other reasons, but this tag is most useful when its
vintage is consistent across the board.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us