[Talk-us] GNIS POI populations

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:22:23 UTC 2015

Mihn,

If we do any en-mass edit, there are a few things I think we want to consider:

1. Before anything else, we need to make sure it's community approved,
source data and code examined and approved by the community.

2. I think that in principle this is a good idea, but we'll also
encounter some issues where census data shows that objects:

a. Have moved
b. Have been renamed
c. Are present in one dataset but not the other

We want to flag these for secondary processing (likely manual).

3. I think it'd be nice, if we're doing en mass mechanical edits, to
connect objects to Wikidata

While it makes sense to keep our own copy of various attributes (like
town/city classifications) in OSM, if we connect the data with
Wikidata, in the future we could pull the data out of Wikidata for
what's classified as what.

They're going to be more inclined to have this kind of data updated
regularly than we are, so this seems like a good way of moving towards
this model, even if today we don't have a way of retrieving the data
from the two datasets and reconciling them.

I'd be okay with #3 being left to a separate task, but I think it
deserves some thought.

- Serge